31 Oct 2010

Tarnished Silver Plated Cutlery & The Pear and Almond Cake

So who knows how to get rid of tarnish on my lovely cake forks in a clean non-chemical way?


I found this suggestion here; does this work? I have no idea if my forks are epns; does this make a difference?  All I know is they are silver plated something!

 And so to the cake! I adapted Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe here; I found the cooking times to be totally off for my oven at least, I had to add on an extra 30 or 40 mins! I used normal flour rather than wholemeal and I think next time I will cut down on the butter too, it tastes far too buttery, totally unnecessary for this cake. And where he says 'add all the juices from the pan on top of the cake' I would say just dribble a tablespoon's worth and no more! This is why it took so so long to cook I think. . . too much juice. Anyway, the result was tasty so thats all that matters.

4 comments:

  1. isnt vinegar also for silver? or brown sauce? lovely looking forks, glad the cake cooked in the end! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always used toothpaste. I wonder if lemon juice and baking soda would work. First time visitor to (both of) your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sonya, welcome! toothpaste? how do you do that? do you leave it on for a while?

    ReplyDelete